I have to restrain myself when I observe people talking about someone else’s or treating their own children as an unwelcome burden. These days children are treated like noisy little pets, neglected, or spoiled so much that they’re controlling the whole family. It’s obvious (at least to me) which parents don’t care about their children.
My family is more important than my career and my entertainment. I honestly can’t remember feeling the need to escape from my children. That being said, I certainly could do less of “my thing” and spend more quality time with my children.
One of the best decisions my wife and I have ever made was for her to stay home with our kids. It wasn’t easy and there were times we didn’t know what the heck we were doing. Ultimately there were no good reasons to let anyone else raise our children.
I don’t buy a lot of excuses that people make about parenthood.
What is it really?
Not enough money in the bank? Career not in the right place? Kids scare you? Dirty diapers not for you? Like your 8 hours of sleep every night? Cramps your style too much? Kids are way too gross? Feel inadequate?
Here’s my 10 reasons why you should have kids:
- You get to choose what values you pass along to your children.
Don’t like that your parents forced you to eat Brussel sprouts? Here’s your chance.
- Kids are fun and it only gets better as they get older
Yes, my son did say: “Superman wears a cape with Velcro on it so that when he goes the bathroom he doesn’t get poop on it.”
- Children bring joy into your life that you can’t measure.
The first cry. The first steps. The first words. The first “I love you, dad”, etc. Good times…no, really good times.
- It is very satisfying when they understand something you’ve been trying to teach them.
It’s priceless when they do or say something that you taught them without any prompting — especially in front of someone who’s not part of your family.
- Responsibility brings maturity
Life takes on a new seriousness when you are responsible for children.
- You’ll never have enough money or be totally prepared
Stop kidding yourself.
- Your parents love grandchildren.
Why not nip those questions in the bud?
- Your kids may just be interested in something you’re doing or something you know…
And be convinced that you know everything there is to know about it.
- At some point, your children will actually help you.
Personally, I’m looking forward to my son being old enough to mow the yard.
- Your parents did.
Nuclear families are what makes society work.
Have anything to add, Faithful Reader?